This year my son Albert (soon 2 yrs) gets 24 small gifts in a Rudolf toilet paper roll advent calendar!
After I made the Toilet Paper Roll Advent Calendar three years ago, I knew that I would try to make another Advent calendar from toilet paper rolls. It is practically free, the rolls are there, and the size makes perfect small cylinder boxes for the gifts. To make 24 Rudolfs takes quite some time and I would encourage anyone who want to make this to start early! Anyways, here’s how I made the rudolf toilet paper roll advent calendar.
I used the following, 24 empty toilet paper rolls, brown paper, brown and red thick paper/thin cardboard, plain white paper, foam mounting squares, multi purpose glue, glue-on eyes and a pair of scissors.
1. Start with gluing on brown paper to make the bottom of the rudolf. If you’ve chosen a fast dry glue then this doesn’t have to take too long. Put the small gifts inside and seal the roll with brown paper and glue again. For ideas on what to put inside see list below.
2. Use a pair scissors and cut off the superfluous brown paper at the top and the bottom of each roll.
3. Cut out a small round piece of red paper, add a foam square and attach on the roll. This will of course be Rudolf’s nose.
4. Glue on the eyes right above the nose.
5. Cut out the antlers from brown paper and glue them onto Rudolf’s forehead. Now repeat these steps 24 times!
Now as for how to open the gifts, just tap with one finger. If you open it at the bottom it is easier to make this advent calendar last year after year 🙂
Gift Ideas (primarily for kids)
- Hot wheels cars
- small playing balls
- A tiny plastic bag filled with candy
- A tiny plastic bag filled with potato chips
- A tiny plastic bag filled with crackers
- Toy animals
- Toy soliders
- Small stickers
- An eraser
- A pencil sharpener
- A tiny plastic bag filled with M&Ms
- A whistle
- A tiny plastic bag filled with Peanuts
If you’re looking for gift ideas for grown ups, check out for him and for her.
My son is soon 2 years old so I did not use all of these suggestions, but some of them. And of course, there is no need to have 24 different gifts, I have several cars wrapped.